What is a dental crown and what is it for?
Crowns or dental covers are one of the possible solutions to preserve each tooth . As time goes by, different dental problems may appear that we will have to solve as soon as possible to avoid further damage such as losing a tooth and needing dental implants. You may be interested in this topic because you are looking for a dental crown budget that fits your budget or because you want to know what types of covers exist and what each one is for. In that case, continue reading this post because we will tell you everything you need to know about the subject.
A dental cover is a structure tailored to each patient, imitating the shape and color of their teeth. It is used to cover a tooth that has some type of damage and fits perfectly on it. The result is usually very natural, making it look like a real piece.
A dental crown may be necessary in different situations, although the most common are:
- To cover a damaged tooth that is missing some part due to a root canal or filling. In some cases, the crown is placed on a metal post or pin, or on a fiberglass reconstruction.
- To support a dental bridge in case the surrounding molars or teeth are missing.
- Crown on dental implant to complete it.
- To cover a tooth or molar that looks bad, that is, for aesthetic reasons .
In addition to the aesthetic utility, crowns serve to protect the tooth underneath. This way we can eat completely normally without fear of the damaged tooth suffering fractures or damage.
Types of dental crowns: what does each one cost?
As we explained, a dental crown may be necessary in different cases, so there are different types of caps depending on each situation.
Porcelain and ceramic covers: the most used
This type of dental crowns are the most in demand because they imitate the appearance of the tooth very well. Therefore, they look very natural once applied and it is barely noticeable that it is a coating. They are resistant, although not as resistant as those made of other materials. The price of the porcelain dental crown is between $1,500 to $2,500 per tooth in Canada.
Resin dental crowns as an economical or temporary solution
Composite resins are not recommended for the manufacture of covers because they are not very resistant and tend to fracture. It is true that they are cheaper than the rest, but the resistance is much lower. For this reason, they are sometimes used as a temporary solution until the definitive cover is ready.
Zirconium crowns: an aesthetic alternative
It is a material with qualities similar to those of the tooth’s natural enamel; the color and morphology are almost identical. It lets light pass through in the same way and the appearance resembles that of molars. They are the most used to cover visible teeth when smiling, but they are not recommended for molars since zirconium is not the most resistant material. The price of a zirconia dental crown is between $1000 and $2500
Metal dental crowns for life
Metal covers can be made of different materials :
- Platinum and nickel
These metals are very resistant although not very aesthetic. They usually last a lifetime but seeing a metallic or gold-colored tooth is not what they like the most, so they are no longer used. Plus, gold ones are very expensive.
Combined materials: porcelain crown on metal
They are perfect for those cases in which the tooth is very affected. The base that fits over the root is made of metal, which gives it great resistance. Above it is the visible part, which is made of porcelain to make it look like a real tooth. If the patient suffers from receding gums, this dental crown is not recommended because the metal part may be visible. It can also happen that the porcelain wears over time and the metal base ends up showing. The prices of crowns of this type are between $600 to $1,200.
Dental metal crown in children: stainless steel
They are only used on baby teeth that are too damaged to find another solution. To avoid this, it is better that we take the children for an annual check-up. If any cavities or problems are detected, there will be other prior and less drastic solutions. The average cost of a porcelain crown in Canada ranges from $800 to $1,500, while the average cost of a metal crown ranges from $600 to $1,200.
Dental crowns and its prices: recommendations
The prices we talk about in this post are estimates. The amount to pay depends greatly on the city in which the dental clinic where we are treated is located. It even depends on the dentist who treats us. Thus, in large cities prices can be more competitive because there are a greater number of places to go. On the other hand, the quality of the dental service offered to us also varies the price. At Chagger Dental we can help you save on dental treatments. Visit our website and discover how you can benefit.
I need a dental crown, what is the process to follow?
First of all, whenever we detect discomfort or dental problems, we should go to the dentist . This professional will be the one who tells us the steps to follow. If you need a dental crowns, the usual thing is:
- Most of the time, we need a dental cover because we have lost an important part of the tooth after a root canal. If so, we will have to wait a few days after the endodontist has performed this treatment.
- It is likely that before putting on a cover, the dentist will need to place a pin to support it. In most cases it will be metal, although more and more are made of fiberglass. If it is going to be metallic, the dentist will place a paste on our teeth to make a custom mold that will later be sent to the laboratory. There they will manufacture the exact hinge we need and in a week it will be ready to be placed on us.
- When we have the post fixed on the tooth, the dentist will carve it and take impressions of our mouth again to send them to the laboratory. In addition, he will measure the color of our enamel so that the dental crowns they will make is as similar to our enamel as possible. With the exact mold and color, they will create a custom tooth, with the necessary materials and shape depending on our bite.
- Once the dental crown is received , the dentist will fix it on the post with a very resistant glue. Thus, we will be able to eat and smile normally, as if it were our own tooth.
Sometimes it is possible to place the dental crown directly on the tooth, without the need for a root canal or post.
How long does dental crowns last?
Tooth covers can last more than 30 years , although it is usual for them to last in perfect condition for between 15 and 20 years. This will depend on our occlusion or bite and how much we take care of our dental health . For example, if we need orthodontics because our teeth are out of position, we are at greater risk of the cap shifting or fracturing over time.
On the other hand, good oral hygiene also helps preserve the cases. Brushing our teeth 3 times a day, flossing at night and having our teeth cleaned once a year are some guidelines to achieve a good routine that helps us keep all our teeth, crowns and implants in the best condition.
We must emphasize that if we suffer from a dental disease such as pyorrhea or if we have a bone problem, it is likely that the covers will come off more easily.
Do you already know how to choose a dental crown?
As you can see, dental covers are very important to take care of our dental health and to avoid the loss of molars or teeth. Therefore, going to the dentist as soon as possible is a fundamental issue. If you do not have a quality clinic and need this type of dental treatments , we invite you to visit Chagger Dental. Our dental service is one of the most complete and economical because quality should not be at odds with an expensive crown. Contact us and take advantage of good discounts at the best dental clinics in your city.